Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +385 1 4606266
Employment: Faculty of Science University of Zagreb (Department of Biology,
Division of Molecular Biology, Laboratory for Epigenetics)
Address: Horvatovac 102A, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Prof. Vlatka Zoldoš was working for 15 years in the field of plant biology where she achieved considerable recognition of the international scientific community. In 2008, she established the Laboratory for Epigenetics at the Division of Molecular Biology, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb, and shifted her main research interest to epigenetics of protein glycosylation. Today, she is a group leader of a team consisting of 11 researchers. She has introduced several techniques at the Division of Molecular Biology in the fields of Molecular cytogenetics and Epigenetics: fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) on chromosomes and extended DNA fibers; microdissection using a laser capture microdissector; bisulphite pyrosequencing for DNA methylation analysis; chromatin immunoprecipitation methods (ChIP-qPCR and ChIP-seq). Her pioneering efforts in the field of epigenetics of glycosylation has resulted with publication of several important papers in the field.
Epigenetics, Protein glycosylation, Epigenetics in human complex diseases, Chromatin, Plant biology
2000 PhD Natural Sciences, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb and University Paris-Sud XI, CNRS, Orsay, France (dual mentorship)
1992 B.Sc. in Biology, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb
2017 – 2019 Project leader, ICGEB Research Grant – Collaborative Research Pprogramme (CRP); «Comprehensive toolbox for epigenetic modulation of gene expression»
2017 – 2023 Principal investigator on Faculty of Science on the R&D project of Centre of excellence for personalized health care; European structural and investment funds
2016 – 2020 Principal investigator on Faculty of Science on the R&D project “New generation of high-throughput glyco-services” ; European structural and investment funds
2017 – 2021 Group leader on the project “Innovative training in methods for future data” (IMforFuture), Marie Curie Innovative Training Network: European Training Network (ITN-ETN) of the Horizon 2020 Sub-programme, coordinator of the project: Prof. dr. sc. Jeanine Houwing-Duistermaat, University of Leeds, UK.
1st January, 2017 – 31st March, 2022. Collaborator on the project Horizon2020-SC1-2016-2017 “A systems medicine approach to chronic inflammatory diseases” (SYSCID); project coordinator: Philip Rosenstiel, Institute for Clinical Molecular Biology, Kiel, Germany.
2014 – 2018: Project leader of the project founded by Croatian Science Foundation: “Epigenetic regulation of IgG glycosylation” (EpiGlycoIgG), grant agreement no: 3361
Previously funded projects:
2013 – 2016 (September): Networking manager in EU FP7 RegPot Project: “Integrating research in molecular life sciences at the University of Zagreb”, grant agreement no: 315997, coordinator Prof Gordan Lauc, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, Croatia
2012 – 2016 (October): Leader of WP in EU FP7 project IBD-BIOM: “Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers for inflammatory bowel disease”, grant agreement no: 305479, coordinator Jack Satsangi, Center for Genomic and Experimental Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK
2012 – 2015: Collaborator on the project founded by Croatian Science Foundation: “Epigenetic vs.genetic diversity in natural plant populations: A case study of Croatian endemic Salvia species”, project leader Prof Zlatko Šatović, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb, Croatia
2011 – 2012: Project leader of PCSI project funded by Agence Univérsitaire de Francophonie (AUF) „L’impact de stress énvironnemental sur le génome, epigénome et glycome de quelques éspeces de plantes“
2007 – 2012: Project leader of the project funded by Ministry of Science and Sport of Republic of Croatia, „Chromatin dynamics genome plasticity“, grant agreement 119-1191196- 1224
2007 – 2012 Senior researcher on project funded by Ministry of Science and Sport of Republic of Croatia, „Effects of environmental contamination on genetic structure of aquatic organisms“ (project leader: Prof. dr. sc. Goran Klobučar, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb)
2002 – 2006 Senior researcher on project funded by Ministry of Science and Sport of Republic of Croatia, „Diversity, structure and evolution of genomes of higher plants and some animals“ (project leader: prof. dr.sc. D. Papeš, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb)
2003 – 2005 Senior researcher on research bilateral project France-Croatia (COGITO, Hubert Curien): «Evolution des organisateurs nucleolaires: chên péduncule (Quercus robur) et chên sessile (Q.petraea) comme les plant modeles», (Project leaders: prof. dr. sc. D. Papeš, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb, and Sonja Šiljak-Yakovlev, University of Paris Sud Xi)
1996 – 2002 Young researcher on the project funded by Ministry of Science and Sport of Republic of Croatia, „Variability of chromatin organization in higher plants“ (project leader: prof. dr.sc. D. Papeš, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb)
1992 – 1996 Young research on the project funded by Ministry of Science and Sport of Republic of Croatia, Chromatin organization and gene expression in developmental processes“ (Project leader: prof. dr.sc. D. Papeš, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb)
- SYSCID consortium
- IMForFuture consortium
- Collaboration with dr. Zdenko Herceg, IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer): transfer of pyrosequencing technique from the laboratory of dr. Z. Herceg to laboratory of prof. V. Zoldoš (post-doctoral research training of Tomislav Horvat, PhD). Also, IARC (group of dr. Z.Herceg) is the partnering institutions on the project FP7 RegPot Integra-Life.
- Collaboration with prof. Harry Campbell and prof. Jack Satsangi, University of Edinburgh, which resulted with the successful application for the FP7 IBD-BIOM project.
- Collaboration with dr. Genevieve Almouzni, Institute Marie Curie, through doctorate disertation with dual mentorship (thèse en cotutelle) of Tomislav Horvat (ac. year 2006–2010). Also, Institute Marie Curie (group of dr. G. Almouzni) is the partnering institutions on the project FP7 RegPot Integra-Life.
- Collaboration with dr Caroline Hayward and dr Veronique Vitard, MRC Human Genetic Unit,University of Edinburgh Western General Hospital, through doctoral research training of Paula Dobrinić, MSc.
- Collaboration with dr. Daniel Kolarich from Max-Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces Berlin, a partner on the FP7 project IBD-BIOM.
- Collaboration with prof. Tim Spector from King’s College London, UK. King’s College is the partnering institutions on the project FP7 RegPot Integra-Life.
- Collaboration with dr. Vito Annese from Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Carregi, Firenza, Italy, a partner on the FP7 project IBD-BIOM.
- Collaboration with dr Gestur Vidarsson, Sanquin Research and Landsteiner Laboratory, Amsterdam, Netherlands, through short research training of Dora Markulin, MSc.
- Collaboration with dr. Sonja Šiljak-Yakovlev, University of Paris-Sud XI through bilateral French-Croatian projects.
- Zoldoš V. Epigenetic regulation of protein glycosylation. 12th Jenner Glyco 2017 Conference, May 6th – 9th 2017, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Zoldoš V. MGAT3 gene promoter methylation correlates with IgG glycosylation in inflammatory bowel disease. 24th International Symposium on Glycoconjugates, August 27th – September 1st Jeju Island, South Korea.
- Zoldoš V. Epigenetic Editing Using the CRISPR/Cas9 System and Its Applications in Precision Medicine. 10th ISABS, June 19th -24th, 2017, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Zoldoš V., “Epigenetic regulation of protein glycosylation: implications for complex diseases”; 23rd International Symposium on Glycoconjugates (Glyco23); September 2015, Split, Croatia.
- Zoldoš V., “Genetics and epigenetics of protein glycosylation: implications for complex diseases”; 9th ISABS conference, June 2015, Bol, Brač, Croatia.
- Zoldoš V., “Complex genetics and epigenetics of protein glycosylation in human diseases”. SFB 852 „Ernährung und intestinale Mikrobiota – Wirtsinteraktionen beim Schwein“, Berlin, July 11, 2014.
- Zoldoš V., “Epigenetic regulation of protein glycosylation”. RGB Net Meeting, Zagreb, May 7th, 2014.
- Zoldoš V., “Epigenetic regulation of protein glycosylation: implications in human diseases”, Clinical Epigenetics International Meeting (CLEPSO2014), March 2014, Düsseldorf, Germany.
- Zoldoš V. “Epigenetics of protein glycosylation”. “Glycochips become a routine instrument” workshop, Moscow, October 10-12, 2011.
- Zoldoš V. Complex Genetic Regulation of Protein Glycosylation. Glycomics meets genomics – novel strategies in combining -omics approaches. Dubrovnik, Croatia, April 23th – 26th, 2010.
- Zoldoš V. “Lamarck revisited: epigenetic adaptation na inheritance». Summer School on Statistical Omics, 5. kolovoz 2014. Split, Hrvatska
- Zoldoš V. “Lamarck revisited: epigenetic adaptation na inheritance». Summer School on Statistical Omics, 09. kolovoz 2015. Split, Hrvatska
Undergraduate study of Biology and Molecular Biology:
Graduate study (PhD program at Faculty of Science University of Science):
3 PhD thesis, 8 Master and 2 Diploma theses completed. 5 PhD theses in progress. Five scientific papers are published with PhD students.
Organization of scientific meetings:
- 2016 Member of organization committee of International Conference on Polyploidy, Hybridisation and Biodiversity (ICPBH2016); 11-14 May 2016, Rovinj, Croatia
- 2015 Member of organization committee of 23rd International Symposium on Glycoconjugates (Glyco23); 15-20 September 2015, Split, Croatia
- 2015 Organizer of Epigenetic Workshop (integrated within the 9th ISABS conference), 22 – 26 June 2015, Bol, Island of Brač, Croatia
Ad hoc reviewer:
- Journals: Clinical Epigenetics, PLoS One, Briefings in Functional Genomics, Oncotarget, Journal of Plant Science, Journal of Botany, Plant Systematic and Evolution
- from 2010 – Associated Editor of Clinical Epigenetics (BMC Molecular Biology Journal)
- from 2016 – Member of Editorial Board of Briefings in Functional Genomics (Oxford Journals)
Memberships in professional associations/societies:
- Croatian Biological Society 1885
- Croatian Genetic Society
- Croatian Society for Plant Physiology
- Member of IUFRO (International Unit for Forest Research Organisation)
Awards and Achievements:
- 2001 Annual Award for the best scientific publication, Society of University Teachers and other Teachers
- 1996 – 1999 French Government Fellowship (PhD thesis)
- 1995 – 1996 French Government Fellowship (Initiation de la recherche)